Planning to drive in Europe?

You may need a Green Card after the 31st October 2019

Due to the current position of Brexit negotiations, we’d like to reassure you about a few things if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. If you plan on driving in or through countries that are part of the Free Circulation Zone, please read on.

*Please check your policy documentation to ensure that your insurance policy covers you to travel in the EU regardless of a Deal or No Deal

What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which proves that your UK motor insurance policy provides you with the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country you’re visiting. Not every policy has a Green Card included as standard so please check your policy wording.

I intend on travelling to Europe, what should I do next?
1. Check your policy documentation, including your policy wording, Certificate of Insurance and Policy Schedule if you are planning travel to Europe to ensure that the cover applies to the country or countries to which you intend to travel.

2. Contact us by emailing to request a Green Card, advising the dates for which it is required and the countries you plan to visit. Please also confirm your name, names of any insured drivers and your vehicle registration.

When should I request a Green Card?
You should request a Green Card around 3 weeks before you intend to travel. This should provide enough time for us to process your request and send you a Green Card.

Where can I find Green Card updates?
The Government has created a specific information page to provide up to date guidance on the subject of driving in the EU post Brexit. Here’s a link to the Government website.

What are the Free Circulation Zone countries?
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (incorporating Liechtenstein), Slovakia and Slovenia.

How should I contact you?
If you plan on driving to Europe or will be in Europe from the 31st October 2019, please email us at If you do not have any plans to travel, you do not have to do anything.

Safe driving
The team at Sure Thing!