Terms and conditions
SURE THING! is a trading name of SURE THING INSURANCE SERVICES LTD. Registered in England and Wales Company number 08553997. Registered Office: 3 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2AQ. (“we” ”us” “our”) Hereby referred to as “Sure Thing!”.
Who regulates us?
SURE THING INSURANCE SERVICES LTD is an appointed representative of Ambant Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), registered number 486865. The FCA require us to give you information to help you decide if our services are right for you and this page outlines our terms and conditions.
What products do we offer?
- We offer Private Car Insurance provided by a range of Insurers
- We offer Van Insurance provided by a range of Insurers
- We offer Legal Protection Insurance underwritten by Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE
- We offer Breakdown Cover provided by Call Assist
- We offer Excess Protection provided by Business and Domestic.
- We offer Replacement Car Cover, Personal Accident Cover and Windscreen Protection cover provided by Direct Group Ltd.
- We offer lost, stolen or broken Key cover underwritten by UK General Insurance Limited on behalf of Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE
- We offer Tools In Transit provided by Supercover Insurance Ltd
- We offer Dash Cams provided by Nextbase
What service do we offer?
Our aim is to give you choice so you will not receive advice or a recommendation from us. We may ask some questions to narrow down the selection of products that we will provide and give you all the information to make an informed choice based on your needs. We only offer policies based on price.
We will not act as an insurer nor guarantee or warrant the solvency of any insurer.
We may earn a commission on each policy sold.
You have an obligation to provide accurate information in response to our questions and to take care not to make a misrepresentation in connection with your policy.
Paying for your policy
If you have chosen to pay for all or part of your policy using a credit or debit card this will be used for future payments, renewal premiums and/or to collect payment arrears where applicable. If new card details are provided at any time during the course of your policy, the authority will switch to the new card details. You can opt out from continuous payment authority at any time by contacting us.
Should there be an outstanding balance on your policy, we will attempt to recover this from you. If we are unable to recover the debt we will pass this to a debt recovery agency. Should this action be required, all associated costs and charges will be passed onto you.
We work with Close Brothers Premium Finance & Premium Credit Ltd to provide a premium finance facility to our insurance clients. A loan with one of our finance partners is designed for the repayment of insurance premiums only and they may undertake an enquiry with a credit reference agency such as Experian when you make an application. The credit reference agency will add details of the search and the application to their records about the outcome of the application. Further details will be provided when an application for finance is made.
Protecting your money
Prior to your premium being paid to the relevant insurer, and for your protection, we hold your money as an agent of the insurer and your insurance is treated as paid for. Any refund due to you from the insurer may also be held by us as agent for the insurer prior to it being paid to you.
Fees and charges
The below outlines the charges that may be applied by Sure Thing!, your insurer or our third party credit provider. All fees once charged are non-refundable.
Sure Thing! Charges
- 1.5% (of transaction value) credit card fee will apply. If you use a debit card, there is no charge.
- £10 charge to receive your documents by post or for post of any duplicate documents. If you require special mailing, further charges may apply. All documents are available free of charge online for download from www.surething.co.uk
- £30 charge for any changes made to your policy mid-term if you call the centre. £15 if you make the change online.
- When dealing with any amendments or alterations to your policy, we will not collect or refund any amounts under £5.
- Your policy is a contract for 12 months. From the purchase date, we allow a cooling off period of 14 days. If you do not wish to continue, you can, within this period, cancel your policy. A cancellation service charge of £30 is applied to any premium refund. If a claim has been made, there will be no refund of premium and if you paid for your insurance by instalments, you must pay any outstanding balance in full. Where a balance remains unpaid on your account we will appoint a third party to start a recovery process. When this happens we reserve the right to pass on any fees or charges we incur. You will pay 25% of the balance up to a max of £50.
- If you decide to cancel your policy after the 14 day cooling off period, a charge of £60 is applied to any premium refund. However, if a claim has been made, there will be no refund of premium and if you paid for your insurance by instalments, you must pay any outstanding balance in full.
- If you have purchased a Dash Cam policy, we will retain £49.02 towards the cost of the Dash Cam in addition to your other cancellation fees.
- If you fail to pay your monthly instalments, we will cancel your policy, giving you a minimum of 7 days notice by post. We will also cancel your policy if we are requested to by your insurers. We will send written notice before your policy is cancelled. This will be sent by standard post delivery service.
- You can cancel your policy by calling the SURE THING! team on 0344 335 5555.
- You will receive a full refund if you cancel any additional products within the 14 day cooling off period, unless a claim has been made. No refund is given on the additional products cancelled outside the 14 day cooling off period.
- The Sure Thing! charges stated above are in addition to any charges made by the insurer(s) you have chosen. Details of which can be found in your policy book.
Third Party Credit Provider Charges
Our third party credit provider will charge the below fees:
For policies transacted on or after 6th October 2017 via Close Brothers Premium Finance
- £30 late payment fee or fee if we are required to contact you to request payment of arrears
For policies transacted on or before 5th October 2017 via Premium Credit Ltd
- £10 fee if you fail to sign and return your Consumer Credit Agreement within stated timescales
- £20 late payment fee or fee if we are required to contact you to request payment of arrears
- £2.50 fee if you pay a late payment fee by credit card
- £5 fee for changing direct debit dates after the first instalment has been collected
Information about You and changes to your circumstances
You should read your policy document, schedule and certificate carefully and you must take reasonable care to ensure that all information you, or anyone acting on your behalf, give us verbally and/or in writing when arranging your cover, making changes to it or making a claim, is true and accurate. Failure to provide accurate information could result in a claim being rejected or your policy being cancelled or voided.
You, or anyone acting on your behalf, must also tell us about any changes to your circumstances to ensure that we have the correct information and to ensure you are properly covered. Such changes include, but are not limited to:
- A change of vehicle, address, occupation or use of the vehicle.
- Any drivers you may wish to add to or remove from the policy.
- Any convictions, including fixed penalties or pending prosecutions.
- Any accidents, claims, losses or damages to any vehicle, whether or not a claim was made and regardless of blame. This includes all types of claims, damages or accidents such as fire, theft or glass damage (windscreen or window).
- Any modifications to the vehicle (where the vehicle has been altered from the manufacturer’s specification). This includes changes to the:
- Appearance (cosmetic changes), such as alloy wheels or paint.
- Bodywork, such as body kits or spoilers.
- Suspension or brakes.
- Performance of the vehicle, such as the engine management system or exhaust.
- Audio/entertainment system.
This list is not exhaustive. If you are in doubt about what you need to tell us, please contact one of the Sure Thing! team on 0344 335 5555.
Under the conditions of your policy, you or anyone acting on your behalf must also tell us about any incidents relating to the cover provided such as accidents, fire, theft or losses regardless of whether you decide to make a claim. Information you provide us regarding an incident will be passed to your insurer.
If you need to make a claim
In the first instance call our claims number 0800 783 3000. It is essential that we or your insurer are notified immediately of any claims, or circumstances which could give rise to a claim. When you notify us, you must take reasonable care to answer all questions we ask you honestly and accurately. The management, determination and settlement of any claim will be the responsibility of the insurer. You will need to provide your insurer with full details of the incident as Sure Thing! is not authorised to act on your behalf.
If you are paying by instalments and a claim has been made by you, or against you, the full annual premium is due and you will be required to pay us or our third party credit provider any outstanding balance on the instalment agreement. If you paid for your policy in full and a claim is made, no refund is due.
Renewing your policy
We will invite you to renew your car insurance policy in good time prior to your renewal date with our most competitive insurer. We will supply you with the relevant information for your consideration to allow you to make an informed decision.
If you have paid your annual policy using our third party credit provider by direct debit we will include instalment amounts and will automatically renew the policy subject to your payment clearing. You will receive separate notification of your instalment amounts and the dates due.
The renewal invitation will serve as notice that the agreed card will be debited on or around the renewal date and, subject to the payment clearing, the policy will be renewed. If you do not wish to renew the policy automatically please contact the Sure Thing! team on 0344 809 9501.
It is our normal practice to assess on a regular basis the financial strength of the financial institutions that we introduce to our clients. This process involves monitoring the financial ratings applied by independent rating agencies such as Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s along with other publicly available information.
The ratings applied to each firm are a reflection of the agencies’ views on the medium to long-term ability of each firm to meet its obligations to its policyholders. Where an insurer achieves or exceeds our minimum requirements we place it on our acceptable list.
It should be noted that whilst we take every care to promote only the strongest institutions, we are unable to guarantee the financial strength of any insurance company.
Data Protection and Confidentiality
We and the insurer you agree to proceed with will treat your personal information as private and confidential.
We will however use and disclose the information we collect and hold about you in the course of arranging, placing, administering your insurance which may involve passing information about you to other insurers, credit reference agencies, debt recovery agencies, other intermediaries, risk management assessors, anti-fraud databases and uninsured loss recovery agencies.
Your insurer will confirm the use of your data in their policy wording. We and those we pass your information to may also employ agents, sub-contractors and third parties worldwide; the same duty of confidentiality and security will apply to them and all processing will be carried out under our or your insurer’s instruction.
To make sure you get our best deal and to ascertain the most appropriate payment options for you and to protect you from fraud, we, insurers and third party credit providers may make searches about you and provide information (such as details of your payment record) to credit reference agencies and other organisations. These searches will appear on your credit report whether or not your application proceeds.
Keeping you informed
We will use your information to keep you informed by post, email, phone or SMS of other products and services we believe may interest you. If you do not want your personal information used this way please email DPO_Opt_Out@Surething.co.uk, or write to the Data Protection Officer, Sure Thing!, Maxim 3, 2 Parklands Avenue, Motherwell, ML1 4WQ who will ensure that your information is not used for these purposes. Please include your full name, address, date of birth and policy number (if you have one).
If you choose to contact us by email, please note we are unable to accept any liability for data which is lost/abused in transit to us.
You have the right to ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you in our records. You will need to pay a £10 fee. You have the right to ask us to correct any inaccuracies in your information.
Detecting and preventing fraud
To ensure our insurers and credit providers have the necessary facts to assess your insurance risk, verify your identity, to help prevent fraud and to provide you with their best premium and payment options, they may obtain information from third parties at quotation and renewal and in certain circumstances where policy amendments are requested. This information includes a quotation search from a credit referencing agency. This search will appear on your credit report and will be visible to other credit providers. It will be clear that this is a quotation rather than a credit application by you to pay by monthly instalments.
In order to prevent and detect fraud and money laundering we and the insurer agree to proceed with may, at any time, share information about you with fraud prevention databases and public bodies including the Police and the DVLA. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We and other organisations may also access and use, from other countries, the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies.
You can write to the Data Protection Officer, Sure Thing!, Maxim 3, 2 Parklands Avenue, Motherwell, ML1 4WQ if you wish to receive details of the relevant fraud prevention agencies.
To prevent fraud any payments or refunds will be made to the account/card which was used to make the latest payment. By providing the account or card details you and/or the account/card holder consent to us doing this.
By accepting these terms you consent to our use of your data in this way.
For mutual protection, to allow us to continually look at improving our customer service and for training purposes all calls may be recorded including outbound calls made by us to yourself or someone acting on your behalf.
What to do if you have a complaint?
We're committed to providing you with a first class service but we recognise that there may be an occasion when you feel we may not have done this and wish to make a complaint.
Please call us on 0344 335 5555 and we will try to resolve your complaint at the earliest possible stage. If this can't be achieved we will guide you through our process. All complaints are managed and monitored by our Customer Service team.
If you can't settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR.
If you have a complaint regarding your insurer and the service they provide, you will find details of their complaints process in the Policy Wording which is provided when you purchase a policy.
Unless you agree otherwise with us English law will apply to this contract. The courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction to adjudicate on any issue between us, unless you live in Scotland, in which case the Scottish courts will have exclusive jurisdictions.
We will provide the Terms and Conditions of this policy, which apply for the duration of the contract and any communications between us and you in English.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
Your insurer is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). If they are unable to meet their obligations you might be entitled to compensation under the FSCS. Further information about the Scheme is available from the FSCS website at www.fscs.org.uk or by calling them on 0800 678 1100.
Money Laundering Regulations and Proceeds of Crime Act
You agree to provide such evidence and information about your identity, and that of your associates, as we may reasonably require in order to comply with our obligations under money laundering legislation and regulations and associated Proceeds of Crime Act. We are obliged to report to the National Crime Agency and/or appropriate law enforcement agencies any evidence or suspicion of financial crime at the first opportunity and we are prohibited from disclosing any such report.